The Utah Jazz are on a remarkable run against the point spread.
Entering Wednesday’s game at the Los Angeles Clippers, the Jazz have covered the spread in eight straight games and 18 of their last 20 overall, with one push. Utah’s 18-1-1 against the spread (ATS) is the second-best mark during a 20-game stretch in any regular season over the last 30 years, according to ESPN Stats and Information’s odds database, which goes back to 1990. Only the 2014-15 Atlanta Hawks, who went 19-1 ATS from Dec. 15, 2014 through Jan. 25, 2015, have put together a better 20-game run against the number.
Here is a by-the-numbers look at the Jazz’s run and other notable NBA betting-related streaks:
• 3 — The Jazz have authored three of the seven bets 20-games stretches against the spread: 18-2 ATS in 1996-97; 17-2-1 ATS in 2009-10 and their current 18-1-1 ATS mark.
• 2 — The Jazz have been underdogs only twice this season, ahead of Wednesday’s game against the Clippers
• 15 — The 2014-15 Hawks covered the spread in 15 consecutive games from Dec. 27, 2014 through Jan. 23, 2015. It’s the longest such streak in the last 30 regular seasons. The Hawks’ streak ended with a 112-100 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves, when the Hawks failed to cover as 17.5-point favorites. Atlanta would fail to cover the number in four of five games once their streak ended.
• 13 — The 2000-01 Cleveland Cavaliers failed cover the spread in 13 consecutive games from Jan. 24, 2001 through Feb. 21, 2001. It’s the longest such streak in the last 30 regular seasons.
• 13 — The 1990-91 Timberwolves and last season’s Orlando Magic were each involved in 13 consecutive games that went over the total, the longest such streaks in the last 30 years.
• 12 — The 2018-19 Indiana Pacers played in 12 consecutive games that stayed under the total, the longest such streak in the last 30 seasons.
• 185 — Over the course of two seasons, from November 1995 to June 1997, the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls were favored in 185 consecutive games, including the playoffs. It’s by far the longest such streak in the last 30 seasons. The Golden State Warriors own the second-longest streak of being favored in consecutive games at 89 (March 31, 2017-March 6, 2018).
• 88 — The 1992-93 Dallas Mavericks were an underdog in 88 straight regular-season games from April 5, 1992 to April 21, 1993.
ESPN Stats and Information researcher Douglas Clawson contributed to this article.